Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

Flourless Chocolate Cake


With Passover starting on Wednesday night, I thought I'd reprint my favorite flourless chocolate cake recipe. Since it doesn't rise and there's no flour, I think it would work for Passover. Don't hold me to it, but definitely try this recipe. It's simple and delicious. I use left over chocolate from our TeamBuilding Unlimited/Murder on the Menu awesome chocolate tastings.

Flourless Chocolate Cake
Ingredients 4 ounces (or more) fine-quality chocolate (not unsweetened, 70% cacoa or more)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder


Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 8-inch round baking pan.
Line bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.

Break chocolate into pieces.
In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth.
Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture.
Add eggs and whisk well.
Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined.
Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust.
Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.

Dust cake with additional cocoa powder or powdered sugar and serve with ice cream or whipped real cream.

Unbelievable and so easy.

2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

GREAT recipe Janet. I haven't seen a flour chocolate cake in way to long. It reminds me that it may be the perfect solution for my daughter. My grand-son seems to have a bad reaction to flour. Heck, I may even be able to bake it. Since I can't handle touching flour.

Thanks so much for sharing...

Maria said...

This sounds a bit like a baked mousse pie. This sounds like a recipe that I must try!!!