Pages

Monday, June 8, 2009

Saucepan Brownies

I'm always looking for a good brownie recipe. Here are three different saucepan brownie recipes. I've made this recipe .. or something similar.. before, and I would definitely add more high quality chocolate and use the sea salt as in the third recipe.

Tracy Schneider on Al Dente had a recipe for Saucepan Brownies that she found in her mother's recipe box and was attributed to Ladies Home Journal, October 1959. The brownies are mixed on the stovetop and then baked in the oven.

Saucepan Brownies

Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:

1. Place butter and chocolate in a saucepan and melt together over a low heat, stirring frequently.

2. Remove from heat and stir in, in this order: sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, salt and pecans.

3. Pour batter into a greased 8 inch x 8 inch x 2 inch baking pan and bake in a moderately hot oven, 375 degrees F, for 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies are firm and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.

4. Cut into 2 inch squares.

Makes 16 brownies.

I found a similar recipe on Southernfood.com Differences: walnuts instead of pecans, and baking at 325 for the same amount of time.

Hershey's has a double recipe for Supreme Chocolate Saucepan Brownies that uses macadamia nuts--and, of course, a larger baking pan--and cooks at 350.

Epicurious has a recipe that uses more chocolate and kosher or sea salt instead of table salt. This is closer to the one I use, and I love the idea of the kosher salt. I might make these today.

Be sure and check past Brownie entries on DyingforChocolate.com

1 comment:

Irina said...

Nice recipe for Saucepan Brownies but I always prefer walnuts instead of pecans. Ladies Home Journal has always carried beautiful recipes. I remember my mom referring to it for all the beautiful chocolates and brownies she made for us.