Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Everywhere: Chocolate Teas


So I've been out of touch the last few days mainly because I have been overwhelmed by Chocolate at the NASFT Fancy Food Show in San Francisco. Two huge halls at the Moscone Convention Center were turned into a gourmet food lovers paradise. I roamed those halls for several days specifically looking for chocolate, cocoa, and chocolate products, but it was hard not to be drawn in by the bacon, cheese, and gluten-free products. Over the next week or so, I'll try to summarize some of the new chocolate I found.

Let me start with something that will brighten your day, particularly if you're a tea drinker. The Republic of Tea introduced their New Chocolate Teas. I tried a few, and I was very impressed. These teas are truly "Like Dessert in a Tea Cup". I'm not talking cocoa or sipping chocolate at all. These are unsweetened herbal teas made from a base of rich, aromatic chocolate. The Best News: They're available now!

I fell in love with the Double Dark Chocolate Maté - USDA Certified Organic. It's made from Brazillian roasted yerba mate leaves (lots of antioxidants) in round tea bags generously dusted with all-natural dark organic cocoa powder. The chocolate is 100% natural, low-fat organic cocoa powder derived from dark chocolate (more antioxidants) that's been through the conching process so the chocolate has a smooth fine texture. This tea was fabulous, and only 5 calories per cup! It was suggested that you could add warm milk, but you don't need to, so lactose intolerant folks, no worries.

Also available:
Coconut Cocoa Herb Tea (because who doesn't like chocolate and coconut?). This dessert tea combines chocolate and coconut blended with roasted carob and dates for natural sweetness.

Strawberry Chocolate (aka Double Red Rooisbos). This 'tea for sweethearts' is a combination of chocolate and strawberry blended with naturally cafffeine-free organic South African Rooibos.

I've always been a big supporter of The Republic of Tea. Not only do they produce fine and delicious teas, but they support many important groups such as the Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the Prostate Cancer Foundation, Room to Read, and The Ethical Tea Partnership.

4 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

These teas sound wonderful. I'll have to check out the Double Dark Chocolate Mate and the Strawberry Chocolate to be sure. Sounds like just the thing to hit the spot after a long, hard day.

ebidebby said...

Now I want to try the Double Dark Chocolate Mate! I was very curious when I saw the catalog, but it sounds great!

I didn't like the Strawberry Chocolate tea very much. A sample came with my catalog, and the chocolate didn't really go well with the rooibos for me.

Janet Rudolph said...

Not sure about the Rooibos and chocolate, but I really did love the Double Dark.

Marlyn said...

Another Chocolate Tea:
http://www.gypsytea.com/Chocolate-Chai-P61C109.aspx