Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Chocolate Covered Dates

I love dates. When I was younger, and we drove to the desert, we always stopped by Shields Date Garden in Indio to see the movie, "The Romance and Sex Life of the Date." The title was risque, but the actual film was reminded me of 50s school science films, right down to the projector noise and faded images. But, as I said, I love dates, and there were so many different date items to buy from slides to booklets to souvenirs to foods.  Chocolate Covered Dates were always my favorite. Here's an easy recipe for Chocolate Covered Dates.

Don't you just love this Dromedary Choco-Date sign? I collect metal signs, and sadly, I don't own this one. If you ever see it again, please let me know. Love to include this sign in my collection!

CHOCOLATE COVERED DATES

Ingredients:
16 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
20-25 pitted dates
Toasted almonds, walnuts or pistachios, whole or chopped
Coconut flakes
Skewers and parchment paper

Preparation:
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Stuff each date with the nut of your choice.
3. Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl for about 3 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time or melt in a doubleboiler.
4. Using a skewer, dip each date in chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to fall off by rotating skewer (slowly).
5. Place dipped date on parchment and sprinkle with coconut flakes. Repeat with remaining dates.
6. Allow dates to set in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes before serving.

No comments: