Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Magic Chocolate Ice Cream: 1941 Retro Ad & Recipe

July is National Ice Cream Month. No surprise if you're sweltering in the heatwave that has embraced the U.S. In order to celebrate, I dug into my retro advertising files and found this wonderful Borden's Eagle Brand recipe from August 8, 1941 for Magic Chocolate Ice Cream.  I love Elsie the Cow, and I'm definitely take her advice on bringing "homemade ice cream to the social." Luckily, I have an automatic refrigerator! Gotta love these 'story' ads. "If it's Borden's, it's got to be good."






2 comments:

Tina said...

I love that old Elsie ad! Brings back memories. Thanks for your nice comment on my site about the cookies. I just added a black forest pie....seems we both love the chocolate :-)

Anonymous said...

Grandiloquent is such a great word for ice cream. I hardly ever hear that word and yet to use it in an ice cream ad must mean one of several things. Either it was a commonly used
word or they wanted to elevate the quality of the ice cream. The ad reminds of the musical "Damn Yankees" because Elsie is whispering in the ear of a young woman to spur her on.